We understand that your privacy is very important and we are committed to providing you with transparent information about how we collect, use, and store your personal information.
- What data do we collect?
- How do we collect your data?
- How will we use your data?
- When we share your information
- How do we store your data?
- Marketing What are your data protection rights?
- What are cookies?
- What types of cookies do we use?
- How to manage your cookies
- Privacy policies of other websites
- How to contact us
- How to contact the appropriate authorities
- What data do we collect?
What data do we collect?
- When you create an account with us we collect information that you provide to us which allows us to open your account and deliver products (vehicles) to you. This includes personal identification information such as your name, email address, phone number, addresses for invoicing, shipping, and mailing.
- In some situations, we are required by Japanese law to collect data to authenticate your identity in order to comply with anti-money laundering obligations and the requirements of our dealer's license. For example, we may request a copy of your passport, drivers license or other legitimate identification.
- When you use our service we may also collect device information such as IP addresses, browser type and settings, device type and settings, operating system, mobile network information including the carrier name and phone number, and unique identifiers.
- When you use our service we may also collect usage information such as the pages you viewed, the features you use, system activity, the date, time, and referrer URL of your request.
How do we collect your data?
You directly provide us with most of the data we collect, for example:
- Register online or place an order for any of our products or services.
- Data that you enter into forms via our website
- Voluntarily complete a customer survey or provide feedback on any of our message boards or via email.
- Use or view our website via your browser
- We and our service providers may use commonly used cookies to provide you with and improve our services.
Sometimes, we collect your information from a third party, for example:
- When you have an account or receive a service from that party. For example, an agent or another party you have appointed to act on your behalf.
- To help us validate the accuracy of the information you provide. For example, we may use a third party to validate your phone number or email address.
- To provide us with information about you and your interaction with our service. For example, when you connect with us via social media, email, messaging service, register in auction systems or complete a form on our website which integrates with our CRM service provider.
- From our partners who provide business services and functions to us, or to you on our behalf. For example, with our software, accounting, or marketing partners.
How will we use your data?
We use your information in numerous ways, including:
- So that we can provide, protect, improve and deliver you with our products and services.
- Communicate with you and to provide you with offers on other products and services we think you might like.
- To protect Smile JV and other customers for the purposes of combating fraud.
- To comply with our legal obligations, for example, obtaining proof of identity to meet anti-money laundering obligations and the requirements of our dealer's license.
When we share your information
Sometimes we need to share your information with third parties, for example, it would be difficult if shipping companies didn’t know who you were.
We will share your information with third parties for the following reasons:
- To provide you with the products and services necessary for normal business. For example shipping and postal mailing companies.
- To our partners who provide business services and functions to us, or to you on our behalf. For example, with our software, accounting, or marketing partners.
- For legal reasons when we are required to comply with a subpoena, court order, or other applicable legal or taxation regulation within Japan.
- To enforce, remedy, or apply our terms and conditions, service agreements and for debt collection.
- To protect our business and other customers for the purposes of preventing fraud or service attacks or when deformation has been committed towards us.
- To our affiliates and subsidiaries.
- For Mergers and Acquisitions. If we are involved in mergers, asset sales, financing, liquidation or the acquisition of all or part of our business, we may provide your information to that entity and its advisors before and after the transaction date.
How do we store your data?
Smile JV securely stores your data on computer devices and servers located within and outside of Japan.
We also use third parties service providers to store data, for example, we use third-party accounting software, CRM (customer relationship management) databases and auction system software.
Smile JV would like to send you information about products and services of ours that we think you might like.
If you have agreed to receive marketing, you may always opt out at a later date.
You have the right at any time to stop Smile JV from contacting you for marketing purposes or giving your data to other members of the Smile JV Group.
If you no longer wish to be contacted for marketing purposes, please click here.
What are your data protection rights?
Smile JV would like to make sure you are fully aware of all of your data protection rights. Every user is entitled to the following:
- The right to access - You have the right to request Smile JV for copies of your personal data. We may charge you a small fee for this service.
- The right to rectification - You have the right to request that Smile JV correct any information you believe is inaccurate. You also have the right to request Smile JV to complete information you believe is incomplete.
- The right to erasure - You have the right to request that Smile JV erase your personal data, under certain conditions.
- The right to restrict processing - You have the right to request that Smile JV restrict the processing of your personal data, under certain conditions.
- The right to object to processing - You have the right to object to Smile JV's processing of your personal data, under certain conditions.
- The right to data portability - You have the right to request that Smile JV transfer the data that we have collected to another organization, or directly to you, under certain conditions.
- If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you. If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please contact us via our contact page.
However, please note that your rights of privacy or personal data will not be absolute rights so we may not be responsible for accepting your requests when the law permits us not to do so.
What are cookies?
Cookies are text files placed on your computer to collect standard Internet log information and visitor behaviour information. When you visit our websites, we may collect information from you automatically through cookies or similar technology.
For further information, visit: allaboutcookies.org
- Keeping you signed in
- Understanding how you use our website
What types of cookies do we use?
There are a number of different types of cookies, however, our website uses:
- Functionality - Smile JV uses these cookies so that we recognize you on our website and remember your previously selected preferences. These could include what language you prefer and the location you are in.
- Advertising - Smile JV uses these cookies to collect information about your visit to our website, the content you viewed, the links you followed and information about your browser, device, and your IP address. Smile JV sometimes shares some limited aspects of this data with third parties for advertising purposes. We may also share online data collected through cookies with our advertising partners. This means that when you visit another website, you may be shown advertising based on your browsing patterns on our website.
How to manage cookies
You can set your browser not to accept cookies, and the above website tells you how to remove cookies from your browser. However, in a few cases, some of our website features may not function as a result.
How to contact us